Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Helmikuu





Helmikuu, means 'Month Of the Pearl' and is the Finnish for February. 'When ice droplets melt and then freeze again, they form small pearls of ice on the branches of trees'. February is my favourite month because I was born then and I feel a connection. It is a cold, dark and often overlooked month in the course of the year. Despite this, it has always held something special for me.

I felt that the images conjured by the Finns' description of February deserved a little project in their honour as they have so beautifully captured that magical essence of February. I decided to create very delicate earrings, during February, that encorporated pearls in an almost transient way to honour 'Helmikuu'.

Thin delicate silver lines support a little pearl droplet.
Read more about Helmikuu at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February

No comments:

Post a Comment